Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Elder Sorenson - December 26, 2016

Wow!! This week was an emotional roller coaster! On my P-day I kind of got a boost of confidence! I talked to a family by myself (in Spanish) and I could hold a conversation! I didn't speak very well, but I think they got what I was trying to say.  

TUESDAY - 8,057 steps 
I had a good time today! My companion and I planned for the week and I loved it because we got to really focus on the investigator. Later in the day, we were walking down the street and this family needed help putting benches on top of their car. My companion tried to do it with me but he was too short so I ended up putting the benches on top of the car all by myself. Our last lesson of the night was with Kristine, one of our investigators. I actually understood all of the lesson and was able to speak back to her.

WEDNESDAY- 0 steps (I forgot to bring my pedometer today) 
We were very successful with lessons today and nothing too exciting happened. Hermana Lila, our investigator with a baptism date, was so sweet and we talked to her today! 

THURSDAY - 10,653 steps 
I have really gotten into reading… missionary books that is! I finished reading "True to the Faith" and "Our Search for Happiness." These books were so good and they strengthened my testimony so much! Today I got introduced to "Pan de Chocolate," and let's just say the weight I am losing from not eating rice, I am going to make up by eating this bread. Oh... it melts in my mouth, it's so good!! 

FRIDAY - 13,018 steps 
Christmas here is so different! The people in this city have Christmas lights and characters, or mannikins, of Christmas items in front of their houses...but here's the catch, these "maniquedoras" are good until New Year's. On New Year's, they load up these things was dynamite and blow them up all night! So no sleep for me! Anyways, I had an opportunity to serve today! One of the houses in our zone had a fire in it, so all of the missionaries and I went to the house to clean it up. If you know me, you know that I am not afraid to get dirty! That being said, after three hours of helping the family out, I was covered head to toe in black ash! It reminded me of Bishop Messina's story about when he went camping with James and they both slept in a bed of ashes all night! Haha! It felt good doing service and seeing how grateful the family was for our help! I also helped a recent convert with her English homework and by "help", I mean, I did it for her. Haha! It kind of reminded me of my English essays in high school that my mom helped me with! Ha ha! Just kidding. I also helped her with her math homework and you know how hard it is to do math, right? Well, put the directions and notes in different language and try to do it! Haha!  

SATURDAY - Christmas Eve
Christmas was so different here because I wasn't with my family and couldn't look forward to grandma's cinnamon rolls in the morning! We had lunch with our mission president today and played games as a zone! We got into groups according to our nationalities and showed everyone what a typical Christmas is in our country. So, the missionaries from the United States replicated Santa photos at a shopping mall! Haha! Also, my companion had to talk to my family about the details surrounding our Christmas Skype phone call and that was hilarious to watch my companion try to communicate with my mom! That night, we went to a family's house and they asked me to sing a solo and let's just say that was very interesting!! I didn't get any sleep on Christmas Eve because of the music and the fireworks in the neighborhood. 

SUNDAY - Christmas 
Merry Christmas! I guess you have to count today as the first day that I cried on my mission. I was overwhelmed when I first saw my family on Skype. I swear it was allergies, but I bet my family would say otherwise! Haha!! I loved talking to my family so much!! Before I Skyped my family, I spoke in church and that went pretty well! My companion and I ate six lunches and I was dying!! At 5:00PM, my companion called his family but the sound wasn't working so it took an hour and a half to fix it. At 7:30PM I got to Skype my family. Talking to my family helped me to know for a-surety that this mission is where I need to be right now because me being on a mission has blessed my family in numerous ways!! I will give all of myself for 2 years to bless my family!! 

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas with your family and have a Happy New Year! 

Love Always, 
Elder Sorenson  #BOK






No comments:

Post a Comment