Monday, March 13, 2017

Elder Sorenson - March 13, 2017

Hi Everyone!

This week has had its ups and downs, but we are still doing okay!  We lost two of our investigators that had baptism dates because one just doesn't like the idea of being a member of the church anymore and the other can't get permission from her parents. It bummed my companion and I out because we were progressing with them so much, but there is nothing we can do about it.

It rains a ton here and they don't have very good drainage systems, so for three days in a row my companion and I were walking in rivers of water up to our knees. It was actually pretty fun until the third day when both of my pairs of shoes were wet and I didn't have any dry ones. Ha ha! Also, we looked for Dr Pepper and couldn't find any so it looks like I'm just going to have to wait for another year and a half.

Our only investigator right now with the baptism day is Jordie and this kid is only 10 years old. He understands the doctrine the first time we teach him! We will read a  powerful scripture with a deep meaning behind it and he will hit the nail on the head regarding what it means! It is absolutely incredible! So, my companion and I decided to have him read Jacob 5. So if he understands all of that, I will be amazed and so proud! Ha ha!

My embarrassing story of the week was when I was in the house of one of the members here because they were serving us lunch. So the chairs here are not that supportive or strong, especially when American gringos that are super big compared to the Ecuadorians, sit in them. All of the chairs here are plastic lawn chairs and I found out the hard way. I had eaten all of my food the family had served me and was kind of leaning back in my chair when, "Snap!" a side of the chair broke off!! My companion was choking on his food he was laughing so hard! I was just bright red and wanted to leave! Another 10 or 15 minutes went by and I was telling a story to my companion and then, "Snap!" the other side of the back of the chair broke and I almost fell backwards. I can't remember the last time I've ever been so embarrassed!! So this week I learned to lay off the rice and don't trust the chairs! Ha Ha!

Also, this week we had "Capatacion" which is basically a very, very, very, long meeting with the Mission President and a few other zones in the area. It started at 8AM and didn't get done until 5PM. It was a great meeting, but it was just super long! A senior missionary couple came to it too and they were actually from Los Angeles, about 30 minutes from where I live, and they're on their third mission! The stories they told where incredibly inspiring! The good news from this conference is that my Mission President gave us, the gringos, permission to watch General Conference in English! Yes, I know I don't know all Spanish, but I was so happy when he said that because I need to hear Utchdorf's voice! Ha ha!

I am loving my mission and it is honestly the greatest decision I have ever made. I have never felt so spiritually in tune before and my whole thinking process is different when I have the scriptures radiating in my soul. I find myself constantly thinking about what I read and what the people in the Book of Mormon had to go through just so people like us could live with the gospel and the knowledge of eternal plan of happiness! I want to invite everyone to read the Book of Mormon because it has the answers we have all been looking for and I promise, if you search the scriptures looking for an answer, you will always find one!

I love this gospel and I love you guys. Thank you for being a great example to me and showing me the importance of living the Gospel standards and principles every day!

I hope you all have a wonderful week. Please read the Book of Mormon! I know He lives and I know we all have a chance to live with our Savior, Jesus Christ, again as long as we endure to the end! I love you and always remember I am praying and thinking about all of you every day because you are the reason I am on a mission!!! Thank you!! This mission has changed my life forever!

"....the way is prepared, and if we will look, we may live forever." Alma 37:46

Love Always,
Elder Sorenson

Alma 38:9-15
Elder Sorenson's first time trying goat's milk .... he did not like it at all!

Elder Sorenson's companion got Dear John'ed so they took the necessary procedures. Haha!
 

Elder Sorenson's companion got Dear John'ed so they took the necessary procedures. Haha!

Elder Sorenson's absolute favorite zone leader from his first sector. His favorite
zone leader's last day on his mission is this next week!

Elder Sorenson's awesome, new, and good looking zone in Machala!


Elder Sorenson's first time trying goat's milk....he did not like it at all!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment