Monday, December 12, 2016

Elder Sorenson - December 12, 2016

Hi Everyone!

I am going to have to make this e-mail short because I only have 30 minutes today. I woke up with about 40 bug bites all over my body on Tuesday so I took my mom's advice and sprayed my entire bed with bug spray!! Haha! I haven't gotten that many since!!

I had some great lessons this week and I spoke a lot more Spanish than usual! My biggest struggle is explaining the Restoration. It is difficult to even explain it in English!! I can understand most of what people are saying I just can't speak back to them. During church, I am good at knowing what they are saying because it is about the Gospel! I am just not good at casual conversations but I will get there.

A member gave us some mangos and they were so good. My companion didn't eat any because he has stomach problems, so I ended up eating three mangos!! Haha! That night we had like 10 minutes to get home and we were hungry so we stopped at this burger place. Oh it was so good going in but I got food poisoning from the hamburger. Let's just say I didn't sleep at all that night! I found out the next day that the Gringos (Americans) don´t have a strong enough stomach for hamburgers. Ooops..

On Thursday we went to a different zone where there were about 40 missionaries and they were singing. My companion and I walked around while they were singing and handed out cards for Christmas. I was kind of sad I wasn't singing but after they sang, I talked to my President and he was shocked I was in choir for seven years! The next day, I was in the middle of a lesson and our President called us. He said, in Spanish,¨I want Elder Sorenson to be in the choir, so get him there ASAP!¨ I was so stoked! I ¨tried out¨ for the choir and I made it! So now I am in the choir and the first person I met was Elder Vegas. He is such a good singer and we instantly hit it off by talking about choir! Also, the director needed a tenor, so I am singing tenor. (Choir friends: my dream finally has come true!)

On one of our taxi rides, which is always more like a roller coaster because of how the drivers drive their cars with a stick shift, I talked to the driver and he was shocked I have only been here for 3 weeks! So that gave me a confidence boost!! Yesterday, all the missionaries in my zone dressed up for a nativity scene. We didn't act it out, just took pictures.

The lessons I have learned out here on my mission is that I can't do this on my own - teaching and learning a language. The Lord has a part in every thing we do and say. My testimony and my humility for the Lord has grown so much out here!! I know that with the Lord's help, I can do hard things.

Merry Christmas and Te Qujiero mucho!

Love Always,
Elder Sorenson




This picture was messaged to Kim (Kyle's mom) on FB this past week from a member in Kyle's current ward in Ecuador. It looks like it may be the English homework that Kyle was helping to complete for one of the kids in Ecuador. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment