Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Elder Sorenson - January 17, 2017

Hello everyone!

I feel like I haven't talked about my investigators at all so this week's e-mail is going to be a bit different from the ones I have sent. The families that I have really loved have been baptized already, well at least part of the family has.  Hermana Lilah, my first investigator we got to baptism, is 80 years old and one of the nicest ladies I have ever met. She really reminds me of my Grandma Fuller because she always puts others before herself. She loves reading the Book of Mormon and reads at least two or three chapters a day. She also loves the Gospel Principles book. She has one son who lives with her and is about 50 or 60 years old. He hasn't seen daylight or gone out of the house for four years. He reminds me of Howie from the movie Benchwarmers. I love him so much and I am working on him for baptism!!

Another family that will forever be in my heart is the Alvarado's. There are a total of seven people in their family; mom, dad, an uncle, and four children. The two oldest kids, Alex and Emily, were the ones I baptized last week. Their uncle, Oliver, is less active but is always in the lessons! We confirmed another one of the Alvarado's for baptism in February! We are working on the parents but it is super hard to contact them because they work every single day. This family is so special to me and I know Heavenly Father sent me here in Malvinas at this time for this family. The uncle calls my companion and I, "familia Alvarado's Angels!" I look forward to seeing this family every day!

One last family I want to tell you about is the family Salazar. Only the daughter and mom are members but oh man are their testimonies strong! I help the daughter every day with her English homework and they always feed us! We started teaching the dad yesterday and I actually had a 20 minute conversation with him and understood everything and my companion didn't say a word! That was a huge language builder for me. Anyways, these three families are so awesome.

As of right now, we don't have any other family investigators but I know the Lord will lead us to the more families in the coming days!

Highlights of the week:
*I had companionship exchanges this week and my companion was with another zone so I had to figure out where everyone lived without my companions help. It was rough! Ha ha!!

*I feel like I can understand literally everything when we are talking about the doctrine, but in normal conversations I don't understand everything that is said.

*I overcame my disliking of seafood. Now the only seafood I can't stand is fish. Crab is alright and on Sunday I had shrimp and it was actually pretty good! It's only the fish that is killing me when I eat it now.

I hope you all had a great week and are having a great school year! I am all good here in Ecuador. I have gotten used to the food and the language is coming to me. If I focus in on the lessons and not get distracted by things in the streets or in peoples houses, I actually know what they are talking about. I know the Gift of Tongues is real because if you knew me before my mission, you know that I could not speak a lick of Spanish but now I have a big enough vocabulary to maybe, but not perfectly, express how I feel. I speak enough for people to understand the message I'm trying to get across to them.

My tip for the week is always remember that "When you are in the service of your fellow beings, you're only in the service of your God." Please look for opportunities to serve this week and I know, with all the sincerity in my heart, serving others will bless your life more than you can possibly imagine.

Love Always,

Elder Sorenson
 



No comments:

Post a Comment