Monday, November 21, 2016

Elder Sorenson - November 21, 2016

Hi Everyone!
 
Wow...This week was an actual roller coaster. I AM IN ECUADOR AND I DIDN´T KNOW THIS WOULD COME THIS FAST. Before leaving for Ecuador, the MTC was okay and my new companion was awesome! His name was Elder Waite and he was from Colorado. He was going to Costa Rica and waiting for his Visa.
 
I got cleared for my knee and I left the MTC on Friday at 3:15 am for Ecuador. I then took three flights, two of which I flew by myself, so I just slept and studied a ton. The studying when I got here didn´t help at all.
 
When I arrived in Ecuador, I went through customs and met my mission president. He doesn´t speak any English so it was so hard to understand him and know what he was asking. I just smiled, nodded and said, ¨Si¨. It was a very long day. On the way to the house, there isn´t any street signs, lanes, police, or anything. The taxi driver was going like 70mph down the street and swerving in and out of everywhere. I was so scared. Haha. Then we got to the house and I was so tired. So I went to bed but it is so humid here and there obviously isn´t any AC, so I didn´t sleep at all.
The next day, I met my new companion and he is super cool. His name is Elder Espinoza and he is from Peru. So take a guess and ask me what language he speaks and what language he doesn´t.... YEP!!! You guessed it. He doesn´t speak any English and only Spanish. I can't figure out how long he has been in the field because I dont know what he is saying. It is good because he usually teaches the entire lesson and I just sit and smile. Anyways, after I dropped off my stuff at my ¨house¨ ...I say that because it is more like a fort because the roof is just pieces of metal slabs, as is all the other houses in this city.
 
This city I am serving in is called Huancavilca. Nobody knows English but they know American music. The first day I was here, we got a ride to teach an investigator and they were blasting Snoop Dogg and 50 Cent. It was so funny to me because every other word was a swear word, and because no one can speak or understand English not even my companion, knew what the words were so nobody knew why Ï was laughing. Anyways, then we taught a lesson and I couldn´t really hear anything because of how loud the chickens were in the background. I didn´t understand anything all day. It was so hard and embarassing.
Oh!!! I forgot to mention that my zone is the most dangerous zone in the mission but I didn´t know that. I was wearing a watch without thinking and this guy was talking to me from his house and I didn´t know what he was talking about. He then pointed a gun at me and started laughing. Let´s just say I am never wearing a watch around here again. Don´t worry Mom, I am not hurt and I gave him a Pass Along card. HAHA!! Anyways, I am sorry this is a super long email. I just have so much to talk about. We also checked up on a recent convert and I didn´t know what was going on. The only thing I knew was that her daughter, I think she was about 13 or 14, asked me to do her English homework and I was so stoked because it was something I was actually good at!! 
I didn´t have to bear my testimony on Sunday so I got lucky with that! Overall, Sunday was way better and I was understanding a little more Spanish. I met a ward family and they are so great! I think they like me but I don´t know any words they said, so I guess only they know if they like me. Haha! The food here is okay but it is very bland. OH!!! I almost forgot, the first day here, for dinner, guess what I had? Freaking crab! And yes Mom, I ate all of it. Also, last night, for dinner, I had fish. I am not even on the coast and I have had a ton of seafood. Every meal has rice, so I am going to be so chubby when I get back!!
I love you guys so much and I hope you are all doing okay. I am doing fine and the Spanish will come! I know that.
 
I know Este Iglesia es verdad. Yo se que el Libro de Mormon y el Evangelio es nessecary en nosotros vidas. Yo agradecido por familias y el don de lenguas. Yo hablo los cosas, en el nombre de Jesucristo, amen.
Te quiero mucho,
Elder Sorenson
 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment