Monday, April 17, 2017

Elder Sorenson - Week of April 17, 2017

Hi Everyone!

Well, I have quite a bit to write about this week because I learned so much and absolutely loved it. I learned the importance of patience, humility, virtue, and obedience all in one week. I also realized when I apply those four attributes of Christ to my life, I am able to recognize the blessings and miracles that have not only happened to me on my mission, but to my family back home! The biggest miracle I have seen, personally for myself, is being able to convert and teach people the gospel in a different language! Who would have thought I could actually learn this language?! ? I know…He did.

The biggest miracle and my experience of patience is incredible! We have been teaching a young boy, Jordy, who loves this gospel. His two goals in life is to be a singer and to obey the commandments of the Lord. Also did I mention he is only 10 years old? Jordy understands doctrine more profoundly than some of the adult leaders we have in our ward! We have been teaching him for about two months now and we honestly could have had him baptized in three weeks, but we needed his mother's permission to baptize. He reads two or three chapters in the book of Mormon every night and he wants to start from the beginning and read all the way through! Anyways, we visited him every day to see how he was doing and checking on his mom. She always told us that Jody can be baptized when she receives her own answer from her prayer. She had been saying this same thing for about three weeks or so. We tried pretty much everything, praying with her, reading, having Jordy bear his testimony and the whole nine yards, but she wouldn't budge. Then on Thursday, we went to his house and asked to speak to his mom again, so we talked and my companion got a feeling to share a scripture, he shared 3 Nephi 11:20-40. It explains the way to be baptized and the importance thereof. It happens to say the word baptism 13 times. After he read and shared his testimony, I taught her how to recognize the spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23). It stayed quiet for what seemed like 10 minutes, but probably only 10 seconds. She finally said something, "What time is his baptism?" My companion and I looked at her without hesitation and told her whatever time she wanted it to be at! She gave us permission and so we had the blessing of a baptism yesterday! My companion and I had a huge weight on our shoulders lifted off! I know that only because we showed our patience for his mom and also our faith to the Lord! Just like it says in Ether 12:6, we won't receive answers until AFTER our trials of faith. This experience will be forever in my heart and I will always be grateful for the blessing we received this week of a baptism in the Lord's church!

The other experience I want to share is about virtue! Yesterday we woke up early to try to get everyone to church, but nobody was answering their door or phones. Honestly, my companion and I were both upset and discouraged. We could've just gotten really upset when we were alone and just vented, but we didn't! We then walked into our chapel where we found 8 of our investigators ready for church to start! My companion told me that it was the most investigators that had come to church his entire mission! We were both so happy and I couldn't believe it!

I want to talk about the thing that was super special to me this week! Like I said last week, Elder D. Todd Christofferson came to our mission to speak. I also got asked to be in the choir to sing for him! Anyways, all the missionaries got to go up and shake his hand, but we had strict rules that we couldn't speak to him unless he asked us a question. I was in the first row because I was in the choir, so we did our routine and I smiled and shook his hand, he says to me, "Elder Sorenson, greetings from your mother." I tripped over my heels and said, "What?" He responded, "Your mother is Kim from California, right?” I almost freaked out, but said, "Yes!" I did not know Elder D. Todd Christofferson’s niece was in my home ward in California! The greatest part was that I was the only one, maybe two other missionaries, to be able to talk to him! There are jokes that the elders say - if an apostle talks to someone, they are getting told they need to go home. Ha ha! So a really close elder of mine was in the way back of the room with my companion and didn't recognize that it was me who was talking to him. Elder Bennett turns to my companion and says, "That elder is going home!" Ha ha! It was so cool to hear from Elder Chrisofferson and he knows Spanish so he spoke to us in Spanish. He is such a spiritual and great man. I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to hear him and especially sing for him!

I apologize for making this email a bit longer than usual, but it was honestly a great week and I'm so excited for the experience yet to come! I love all of you and hope all is well wherever you are! Always remember the Lord loves you and hold to the rod, it is the only way to return to his presence.

Yo se que la iglesia de jesucristo de los santos de los últimos días es la única iglesia verdadera. Se con todo mi corazón que nuestras profeta, Thomas S. Monson y sus apóstoles fueron llamado por dios. Estoy agradecido por los ovaciones, las personas de Ecuador y la oportunidad para ver los milagros en no solamente mi vida pero en el ofros también! Amo esta iglesia y las personas que contiene. Amo el libro de mormón. Amo la biblio. Amo este misión. Yo sé y comparto mi testimonio con ustedes, en el nombre de jesucristo. Amen.Con Amor,


Con Amor,


Elder Sorenson


Faith  +  Hope + Charity and Humility = Kingdom of God
Moroni 10:20-21








No comments:

Post a Comment