Thursday, July 13, 2017

Elder Sorenson - July 10, 2017

Hi Everyone!

The Fourth of July was definitely a lot different being in a different country, but I still had a great day! My converts (Valeria and Justyn) made me an American flag and gave me a liter of coke and popcorn. They know me. Then, Oscar, my missionary leader, came over to our house and we had KFC and french fries so I guess you could say it was a great day! I was just missing fireworks and watermelon!

This week went pretty well. I learned a ton and am now seeing myself thinking and dreaming in Spanish. I kind of forgot English, especially in praying. My companion really wants to learn English so sometimes we pray in English and, I don't know why, but I have forgotten how to speak. Haha! It is okay. It is only going to get worse!

Two things that I learned this week are the importance of service AND the importance of stretching before service! We were able to help build a house for an investigator and it was so fun. We had to move about 2,500 bricks of concrete and a mountain of dirt to the 4th story of the building! First off, I found a fault in only eating rice - nobody has a whole lot of muscle or a ton of strength. So, what we did was put dirt in a bucket, hooked it to a pully system (made of wood so it was very safe mom) and then pulled it up to the 4th story, dumped it out and repeated the whole process.  I don't know what they see in Gringos, but they think I am strong. I ended up doing the pully for the majority of the time! It was super fun! The next day I couldn't lift my arms....haha! But honestly, it was a great experience and the investigator showed up to church yesterday! That just showed me that when we share the gospel in a different way - not just teaching the lessons - but by doing service, people can receive their testimony through our actions and acts of service.

As a District Leader, I interviewed 3 people for baptism this week and it was such a humbling experience for me. I got to see and listen to their testimony. It made me realize the importance of the Lord and the importance of listening to the promptings of the Spirit!

Also, my companion and I found some new investigators that seem really nice! They said yes to baptism! These spiritual experiences I am having are seriously incredible. I can't count the blessings I have been able to witness or take part of because of this mission. I can't tell all of you enough how much I love missionary work and how much I love this church. I also can't express to you enough the importance of having faith in Him and knowing that this is not the end. We will live with our families forever if we commit to the ordinances and promise Him that we will obey. If we endure to the end, we will receive eternal life.

This mission is honestly going by way too fast. I love being a missionary and being able to be the example for other members of the ward. I am so grateful for the gospel and the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I do not want this mission life to end and I know it won't because when we have something and we know it is true, we will find ourselves always wanting to share it with other people (Luke 8:16-17, 1 Corinthians 9:14).

Also, after the baptism interviews I did, I got asked to baptize one of them! It was great and an honor to take part in an ordinance so sacred and dear to me. The man I baptized is a UFC trainer and he works at a gym. The baptism was a day after we did the heavy duty service and it was a great experience. I couldn't even lift my arms, but I was able to (with all the strength I had left) put this wonderful and humble man under the water. He made a splash that got the front row of seats wet!! Haha!

I love you all and I hope that you are doing well! I hope you have a wonderful and safe summer. You are always in my prayers and thoughts. If you have any questions for me or need someone to talk too, please e-mail me. I am always here and will give you the best advice I can! Talk to you next week! See you soon!

Love Always,

Elder Sorenson

Luke 8:22-25 - Where is your faith?
Mark 13:12-13 - Endure to the end, no matter what.

This video is available through e-mail. Please e-mail Kim Sorenson if you would like to receive/view the video. agbellmama5@gmail.com


A homemade flag that was made for me to celebrate 4th of July!

The back of the homemade 4th of July flag!


Shoveling a mountain of dirt to go in the bucket that would be sent up to the 4th story of the buidling 

Dirt in a bucket, hooked to a pully system made of wood and then pulled up to the 4th story, dumped out and repeated until the project was finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment